We are in the heart of the city center of Pisa. From our B&B in a few minutes walk you can visit "The Leaning Tower" and "Miracles Square".
The leaning tower of Pisa
Emblem of the city thanks to its characteristic leaning this tower is the most known monument of the Cathedral square. Built between the XII and the XIV century this tower leans because the ground gave way during its construction. Even if it could looks scaring don’t worry, this tower will never fall down, because the axis that passes through the barycentre falls into the base of the tower, so to make the tower fall the laws of physics should be subverted. We don’t have certain informations about who built this tower, maybe it was the architect Diotisalvi, who in that period was working at the Baptistery. But even if there are several analogies between the two monumentsthe diatribe on the planner of the tower is still open. The tower is proposed to be one of the seven wonders of the contemporary world.
Suqare of Miracles
The Piazza dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo (Italian: Cathedral Square), recognized as an important center of European medieval art and one of the finest architectural complexes in the world.Considered a sacred area by its owner, the Catholic Church, the square is dominated by four great religious edifices: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and the Camposanto Monumentale(Monumental Cemetery). Partly paved and partly grassed, the Piazza dei Miracoli is also the site of the Ospedale Nuovo di Santo Spirito (New Hospital of the Holy Spirit), which houses the Sinopias Museum (Italian: Museo delle Sinopie), and the Cathedral Museum (Italian: Museo dell'Opera del Duomo).
The name Piazza dei Miracoli was created by the Italian writer and poet Gabriele d'Annunzio who, in his novel Forse che sì forse che no (1910), described the square as the "prato dei Miracoli" or the "meadow of miracles". The square is sometimes called the Campo dei Miracoli (Field of Miracles). In 1987 the whole square was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Arno promenade
As we told before Pisa is very known for the Miracle’s square, but it is known for its Arno river promenade too: all the streets that go along the Arno are an important point of reference for the young of Pisa and interesting point of reference for the tourists. There are important building, dated back to the Middle age, that during the centuries has been transformed. Towers, bridges and buildings, in spite of their actual Renaissance appearance, has a medieval soul, which can’t be ignored by the eye of an attentive tourist. Among the great number of streets, the more known is the Medicean one which hosts a great number of historical buildings, such as: The de’ Medici Palace, Toscanelli Palace and the church of San Matteo in Soarta. But it’s not everything: here you can find numerous pubs, restaurants and bars where spend lovely nights. Every 16th June, in occasion of the celebrations in honour of the Saint Patron, the streets are illuminated by candlelights that give to the buildings a strange and beautiful look and it create suggestive light and colour play.
Was the center of Pisa in its days as a republic and was remodeled in the sixteenth century, becoming the symbol of Medici power in Pisa. The square has some magnificent sixteenth century buildings, the church of Santo Stefano dei Cavalieri, and the Palazzo dell'Orologio (clock building) with two ancient towers joined by an arcade.During the Middle Ages was the civil and political centre of Pisa.
Santa Maria della Spina
Santa Maria della Spina is a small Gothic church in the Italian city of Pisa. The church, erected in 1230, was originally known as Santa Maria di Pontenovo: the new name of Spina ("thorn") derives from the presence of a thorn allegedly part of the crown dressed by Christ on the Cross, brought here in 1333. In 1871 the church was dismantled and rebuilt on a higher level due to dangerous infiltration of water from the Arno river.The church is one of the most outstanding Gothic edifices of Europe: it has a rectangular plant, with an external facing wholly composed of marble, laid in polychrome bands. The exterior appearance is marked by cusps, tympani and tabernacles, together with a complicated sculpture decoration with tarsiae, rose-windows and numerous statues from the main Pisane artists of the 14th century. These include Lupo di Francesco, Andrea Pisano with his sons Nino and Tommaso, and Giovanni di Balduccio.